Sunday, February 3, 2013

Get me through December

“I promise I’ll remember.  Get me through December so I can start again.”

What a great song.  At the end of this post I’ll provide a link so you can hear it.  I sang it all month.  For some reason I kept saying those words to myself.  This is a one year gig.  Getting through December meant a lot of things for me.  It meant that I was halfway through this adventure.

There have been some downs and ups.  More ups, though, and I often need to remind myself when I'm getting down or insecure, that I made a few major changes in 2012.  Like...

I got married.
I gave my son a stepdad.
I quit my job.
I started a new job.
I moved to a different house.
I moved to a different country.
I moved to a different country that doesn't speak my language.
I got a haircut I didn't like.

The last 6 months have not been for the faint of heart. Take any ONE of these things and do it and see how it alters your life.  It isn't insignificant.  So at the risk of sounding egocentric, I’m going to pat myself on the back just a little bit right now and remind myself that I have done all of them at one time and I’m not failing too miserably at any of them and my hair has grown out nicely.

Okay, done with that.

In 2012, I did something else new - for me.  I threw a New Year’s Eve party.  It was small and intimate, but fun.  I almost always go to bed at about 9:45 on December 31st because I think the whole NYE thing is anticlimactic and pointless.  But hell, we’re in Peru and they like to rock it out so why not.  When in Rome…

My folks were here too and I knew they probably planned to go to bed at 9:45 too so it pushed us all out of our comfort zones.  A few of my bestest Peruvian girlfriends helped and we decorated our home in the Peruvian custom of all things dressed in yellow. 

On NYE in Peru you have to wear yellow underwear for good luck and happiness.  Or red underwear for love, green for money, and white for health or fertility.  You’re supposed to eat 12 grapes and make a wish after each one.  You also distribute small amounts of rice to everyone present and everyone keeps it in their pocket.  And you’re supposed to drink Pisco.  The Cliftons and Hugheses complied with it all!  Davis was the only kid there and he was great.  He is good at hanging with adults.  We danced and laughed and counted down and watched the fireworks from our terrace.  It was a great time and I’m glad we did it.  Here are some photos from the night…

Davis and Granny help prepare the house decor while I give instructions from the couch.  
Davis is prepared and ever so handsome.
One perk of having a photographer husband is that when he has his camera in his hand, he is conscious and thoughtful....and captures moments like this when you don't know it.  
Preparing more yellow
You think this boy will remember all this?  I sure hope so.
Having a good time
From our terrace.  The fireworks went on all night long.  Not bad, huh?
The finest Peruvian ladies you'll ever meet.
And I don't know any of these people.  Honestly.
Remember how I said we made our own ornaments for our tree?  Yeah....
I did punk out a little bit though.  I went to bed at 2:00 am and left everyone to their partying.  I was just so tired.  But wouldn't you know, those folks cleaned up before they left.  I woke up to a clean house.  I can't think of a better start to a new year.

All of this to say, Happy New Year everyone, on February 3rd.  Halfway point.  When I think about my life right at this moment versus 7 months ago, I feel like a completely different person and I wouldn't change a thing - every minute has brought me right here.  This experience has rocked my world in a thousand different ways.  All of which I am thankful for.


No comments:

Post a Comment